Know Your Rights

  • If the insurance company denies your claim or offers you a low settlement, ask them to identify the language in your homeowners’ policy that serves as the basis for denying your claim or offering a low amount. Most homeowners’ policies do not cover damage from floods, earthquakes or tree removal (except when the tree damages the house).
  • If you disagree with your insurance company’s handling of your claim, ask to speak with a supervisor. Use the records you have kept since the claim process began.
  • If you disagree with your insurance company’s decision, ask for a written copy of your appeal rights under your insurance contract.
  • If you are getting the runaround, file a complaint with your congressman’s office of constituent affairs and with your state insurance department. Your state insurance department will seek a response to your complaint from the insurance company and may even intervene on your behalf with the insurance company.
  • If you are unable to resolve your claim with your insurance company, you should quickly seek legal advice from Storm Help Team